At Wangala Primary School we are committed to maximising literacy and learning outcomes for all our students. As a school we take action to increase our students’ reading, writing, speaking and listening and thinking skills. Our literacy program includes;
- A phonics-based approach as the foundation of reading, using evidence-based pedagogical practices
- Explicit teaching of comprehension strategies to ensure students understand what they read and make connections to the real world
- Language-based activities and experiences to deliberately build students’ vocabulary to be able to express themselves through speech and writing
- A strong independent reading culture
- Making the learning visible throughout the school
- Regular circle-time discussions
We prioritise the teaching of literacy. All classes have a two-hour literacy block that includes, reading, writing, spelling and speaking and listening.